Thursday, July 9, 2009

Things that Irk Me!

I don't consider myself to be an environmentalist. I almost consider it to have negative connotations. Similar to a hippie, or left wing nut job. When I think of an environmentalist I think of these people that haven't showered in at least a week. They smell and look horrible because of it. People like Sheryl Crow. That's right I think Sheryl Crow is a left wing hippie nut bag environmentalist. I don't know why I didn't think of using this example before....this is perfect!!! Do you remember a few months ago when she wanted everyone to only use one square of toilet paper when we go to the bathroom. Don't believe me...here is an article about her saying it here....and here

Maybe now you can see why I don't see myself as an environmentalist. I'm not willing to go to extremes like that. I'm not willing to sacrifice my comfort level. I'm not willing to only use one square of toilet paper because I don't want poop on my fingers. Just to save a little paper?!?! It's not worth it to me. I'm not willing to poop in a bucket and save a little water, because face it...that's just gross. I'm not willing to skip taking a shower for a week because I don't want to be the stinky guy at work. I don't want my wife to sit on the other side of the couch from me or me from her just so we can save a little water. It's not worth it to me. I'm not willing to turn off the A/C in the middle of the day to save a little electricity. Have you been in this Texas heat?!!?! OMG!!!

It's not worth it to me. Just don't be wasteful and you're good.

That being said...I'm not against helping the environment. So let me get to the reason I started this post and what really irks me. It's when people do things out of sheer laziness that affects the environment. The things that really don't require any sacrifice at all. I can think of many examples, but the one I'm going to hit on today is littering.

I hate it when I see someone littering. I don't know why. It irks me to my core.

Maybe its from all my time in the Corps policing up cigarette butts when I didn't smoke.

No...that's not it.

Maybe from picking trash along the highway when I was in Boy Scouts.

Not it either.

I can't explain it, but when I see someone throw a piece of trash out their window driving down the road...Something inside wants to pick it up and follow them home. When they get there just walk up to them and say..."Hey, you dropped this."

Of course just dumping an entire garbage bag of trash into their car as they open the door might get the point across to, but it's not quite as subtle.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KvpYnEB7F4

    I told you I was reading through these. I'll try not to inundate you with comments...

    ReplyDelete