Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Childhood Icon Falls

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a dork, but I don't think I've gone into the realm of nerd quite yet though. Maybe I just lack the imagination. The example I’m thinking of is that when I was young I loved cartoons but didn’t like comic books (graphic novels for the collectors.) I just never could get into them.

My favorite cartoon was of course Batman (followed by the X-men.) Everyone liked Batman. I liked Batman because he was a normal guy. Well compared to most superheroes anyway. He wasn’t bitten by a super spider, didn’t have a magic ring, didn’t have some special mutation, or wasn't exposed to radiation. At a very early age I learn if you get exposed to radiation...you just die. No, Batman was special because he chose to be. He just had some serious psychological issues. For the most part though, he worked at it.

For those that don’t know the story of Batman, his parents were killed right in front of him. His hate consumed him. He formed it and used it to make himself stronger. He did everything he could to prevent that from ever happening to anyone else. *SPOILER* If you saw The Dark Knight you may have notice the tie in at the end of the movie. Batman save Gordan son from the same fate. He was about to watch he father being killed. Didn’t catch that did ya….(like I said, I'm a dork)

My point is that I like Batman. He has inspired generations that if you work hard enough, 1 person can make a difference. You don’t need to be super to do it.

Then my friend sent me this.

“Batman to be replaced by Lesbian Counterpart.”

What The Heck!?!

Now I'm all for reinventing the character every now and then. Give him a new car. New gadgets. New villains. New women. New internal struggles, etc...but this?!?!

This is creating a character out of the fallen carcass of one of the most popular superhero's of all time. It's horrible.

I know what some of you are thinking. I hate gay people right! or women! That's not it at all. Email me and I'll argue you both those or any other points all day.

My point is simply this...Batman is Bruce Wayne...

No comments:

Post a Comment